Sunday 9 January 2011

'Hold On! Im close to figureing it out!' part one.

Its a sunday. Its one oh eight pee emm. I have not been to sleep yet, as usual.

So, first things first.
My 'Gripe of the Week'
a gripe is not a fruit, its an annoyance, just so you know.

Cocky Bastards
these are generally men, and they are the guys in the bar who try and barter drinks out of you.
they are the guys that are most likely to throw a hissy fit when you say no.
if this is you then please understand that abusive behavior is a valid reason for me to refuse to serve you and kick you out, right?

Next.

I have this essay in this week, and i basically have to pick a question and answer it.
Im doing my essay on Riot Grrrl, the subculture and the genre.
but i'm getting a bit lost on the whole thing.

QUESTION: How did the Riot Grrrl subculture affect Riot Grrrl as a genre? Can we pick out specific qualities of the music that reflects the subculture and its influence?

so i know what i am writing about.
May i just admit one thing to you dear reader?
i haven't actually listened to any Riot Grrrl, i am a little afraid. i know its shouty, and angry and i am scared of it.

i will now listen to some, and tell you what i think on first listen, then i will listen to it again and assess its musical quality.
oh, isnt it fun?

DISCLAIMER: this is just my opinion of Riot Grrrl as a genre, not as a subculture.

Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl

Its harmless enough at the start, to be honest.
the beat makes me wanna clap.
the guitar isnt so heavy. the womans voice is in now, very strong accent.
now there just shouting, its in key though.
the quality is terrible.
but its not as heavy as i thought. it doesnt make my ears bleed. its not very tuneful. and its not saying anything heavy, there isnt really any political saying in this at all, its more lesbian than anything.
very heavy accent, ah, more lesbianismn.
not really very deep at all.
and now its over.
lets have another.

This next one was an influance to Riot Grrrl.
x ray spex - Oh bondage! Up Yours!

'Some peopuw fink littuw guwls shud be seeen an not eard, i fink OH BONDAGE! UP YOURS!'
maybe this is a political comment, sort of a I DONT WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE A LITTLE GIRL ANYMORE?!'
dont take my analogies seriously though, i am new to this you know.
I can see the influances here, the angry shouting and the instrumentation are very much the same.

here are the lyrics:

Bind me tie me//Chain me to the wall I wanna be a slave//For you all//(chorus)Oh bondage up yours//Oh bondage no more//Oh bondage up yours//Oh bondage no more//(verse)Chain-store chain-smoke//I consume you all//Chain-gang chain-mail
I don't think at all//(chorus)Oh bondage up yours//Oh bondage no more//Oh bondage up yours//Oh bondage no more//(verse)Thrash me crash me//Beat me till I fall//I wanna be a victim//For you all//(chorus)Oh bondage up yours//Oh bondage no more//Oh bondage up yours//Oh bondage no more:/

i will take a break for the moment from this analiseation and ponder my answer to my original question.
This is what i understand right now. and this is just based on what i have read.
Riot Grrrl (the subculture) was women saying 'hold on, we can do it too!' it was the 3rd wave of feminism. everyone has heard of Riot grrrl, mostly through courtney love, but love was nothing to do with the subculture, she didn't actively participate in the zine culture, she spent most of her time slandering the movement, love was only part of the movement by genre, not by subculture.

The subculture was not angry, and the style was not butch. the 1991 race riots have something to do with it, and Tobi Vail was the pioneer.
above all, it was about women's rights and gave women a way to empower themselves and talk about anything they wanted.
however i dont feel like i can really form an opinion of it, at first listen it seems like the music had nothing in common with the subculture.
the subculture claims to be voilent and angry, and the opinions of the genre are that it is angry, but to me it doesnt seem angry at all, especially if you compare it to other genre's of punk.
so what was it really.



No comments:

Post a Comment